Presented by Sanctuary of the Arts
Join us for a 3-day workshop with textile artist, Paula Kovarik.
Friday, November 4 to Sunday, November 6, 2022
Sanctuary of the Arts, St Mary’s Missionary Baptist Church
136 Frow Avenue, Miami FL 33133
Coral Gables, Florida
Using stitch in artwork begins with an expressive line. Loosen up and explore new territory with line and stitch in this free-motion quilting workshop. Learn to focus on the character of line and personal symbols through simple drawing,
composition and stitching exercises.
- First we make a mess. Begin to see that line is active and reactive.
- Embrace the wonky. Learn to make the most of whatever occurs by joining ideas to line motifs to see what develops.
- Think in thread. Translate visual stimuli into pathways by stitching in a continuous lines.
- Cut it up! Use your stitching samples to create unique compositions.
Participants will accumulate a toolbox of techniques for seeing, interpreting and completing concept-driven work. Build your stitching vocabulary and trust the thread to tell your story.
Open to all skill levels, free-motion quilting experience a plus.
Waiver should be signed and sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your registration.
Liability Waiver (click here to print and sign):
I am aware of the risk of Covid-19 associated with participating in any in-person experience, including the Partners for Art + Design workshop presented by Sanctuary of the Arts. I will NOT attend this PFA+D program if I am currently experiencing symptoms of fever, fatigue, difficulty breathing, or dry cough or exhibiting any other symptoms relating to COVID-19 or any communicable disease, or have experienced/exhibited any of these symptoms within 14 days of this event. I AGREE NOT TO ATTEND this program if I or any member(s) of my household, have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within 14 days of this program.
I AGREE to hold harmless, release, waive and indemnify Sanctuary of the Arts at St. Mary’s and Partners for Art + Design, its members, employees, agents, successors and assigns to any & all injuries, illness, medical conditions, claims, liabilities, damages, expenses or judgments from participation in any and all Partners for Art + Design programming and/or activities, including use of the area(s) and/or equipment, participation in this PFA+D workshop presented by Sanctuary of the Arts at St. Mary’s from November 4-6, 2022. Any defense, cost or expense arising out of any and all claims, injuries, liabilities or damages arising out of or related to participation in any and all of our programming, as set forth, including attorneys’ fees.
I CERTIFY that the information I have entered herein to be accurate and true. I am at least 18 years old and I have read and agree to the terms of this agreement.
Fabric and batting
Please cut into 14” x 14” squares
- 1.5 yards of Black Kona cotton fabric
- 1.5 yards of Ivory, Bone or White Kona cotton fabric
- 3 yards of colorful backing fabric (your choice, solid or patterned)
- 14” x 14” squares of batting for each pair of fabric squares (any kind is fine but you may want to experiment with several kinds.)
Your favorite brand of quilting thread in black, white or natural and one spool of variegated black to white, (Paula prefers YLI brand 100% Long staple cotton, TEX 40 or Aurafil Mako 40 wt cotton thread)
- 3 bobbins pre-wound with black, white and variegated threads
A quilt you are willing to cut up (optional)
Re-using quilts as raw materials can be liberating and challenging. We will be cutting up some of the stitch samples we create in class. But you can bring something of your own to play with too. We may even share with each other.
Needles for your machine
I use 90/14 or 100/16 needles with 40 wt threads. You can also try Topstitch needles.
Notions (your favorites)
- Chalk marker
- Rotary cutter
- Journal, legal pad or diary to keep notes
- One fine tip dry erase marker in black
- 2 Pilot Precise V5 pens in black
- A way to capture images: digital camera, computer tablet, smartphone.
- Your ideas and patience.
Cancellation for pre-paid registration is available until September 30, 2022.
- A $50 processing fee will apply.
- No refunds after October 1, 2022.
- Registration is limited to 20 attendees.
- Class is offered on a “first come, first served” basis.